Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday afternoon soul searching.......

"I was born in 1968, but my black soul is much older than that. Its earliest incarnations occurred eons ago on another continent somewhere in the mists of prehistory. Thus, there are two selves: one born a mere forty-two years ago; the other, immortal, who has lost sight of the trail of her long history. I am this new self and an ancient self. I need both to be whole. Yet there is a war within, and I feel a great wanting of the spirit. The immortal self-the daughter of the shinning but distant African ages- tells the embattled, beleaguered, damaged self, the modern self, what she needs to remember of her ancient traditions. But the modern self simply cannot remember and thus cannot believe. The mordern self has desperately tried, but the effort has been only marginally fruitful. Maliciously shorn of her natural identity for so long, she can too easily get lost in another's." Randall Robinson (pronoun switch).

This excerpt was taken from Randall Robinson's book "The Debt" published in 2000. I've had this copy on my bookshelf for quite a few years but picked it up this past Monday. I decided two fiction, two non-fiction, some other... Well this was my week for the non-fiction and "The Debt" is my choice. Now, I just want to tell you that I believe that all things are connected so this choice was no accident. All I can say is "WOW" for such a time as this.

If you haven't read "The Debt" I highly recommend you do so and NOW.

Hope to see you back here for a book discussion.
Hotep, Ohenewaa
(repost from earlier this year)

No comments: